04 Nov Simple Kitchen Improvements that Won’t Break Your Budget
Simple Kitchen Improvements that Won’t Break Your Budget
Is it really possible to improve your kitchen’s look for about the cost of a takeout gourmet dinner with the family?
Obviously you’re not going to be able to do anything major, such as replace the cabinets within that budget. But, there are many surprisingly low-budget ways to spruce up the kitchen especially if you are going to be selling your home in the near future. Here are a few ideas:
- Do you have old cabinets? You’d be surprised by how much newer they can look simply by replacing the knobs and/or handles. Pick a colour that blends, rather than contrasts, with the cabinets.
- Does your sink have a few stains? That’s not unusual! There are special cleaning products available to get out the toughest stains without damaging or scratching the sink’s finish.
- Lighting can have an enormous impact on the look and feel of a space, particularly the kitchen. Experiment with new lighting ideas. Try different bulb wattages. Consider a new lighting fixture that looks good and distributes the light more pleasantly.
- Often you don’t need to upgrade anything – you just need to do a little redecorating. Consider new window coverings and replace your old dish towels. Unique, pretty soap dispensers are great accents.
- Declutter to create a greater sense of space. Play with design touches such as placing trendy cookbooks on the counter, adding a plant, or putting an attractive fruit basket on the counter. Sorting the contents of your pantry or kitchen cabinets into categories — baking supplies, grains, cereals, etc. — is the first step to an organized storage space. You may want to take the next steps and transfer items to (clear) bins, and baskets, each with their own label.
Sure, depending on your choices, some of these ideas may cost you more than $100. However, any of these low-budget improvements can make your kitchen look considerably more attractive.
You’ll notice the difference. And, if you’re selling your home, so will Ottawa buyers!
Before you make your improvements we are happy to discuss with you the changes you plan to make and their value. If you plan on making a bigger renovation, keep in mind if you were to sell your home in the future, how would potential buyers value the renovation. We are experienced Ottawa and Kanata REALTORS® and are very happy to discuss the present Ottawa market, market value of homes in your neighborhood and value of different renovations.