REALTORS Care® Foundation
Local shelter charities receive REALTORS Care® Foundation Grants
Ottawa Real Estate Board members support the Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation through our annual charity golf tournament. This year’s tournament, held last May, raised a record-breaking $18,000 for the Foundation, soundly besting last year’s $15,000 (which in itself was a record!). The other way that members contribute to the Foundation is through the new “dollar per member per month” campaign that is added to each member’s monthly board dues. Nearly 2500 members each contributing one dollar every month adds up to almost $30,000 in just one calendar year.
This summer, eight organizations in the Ottawa area applied for grants from the Foundation, and the Board is pleased to announce that all eight of them will receive funds this fall. The recipient organizations are:
- Bruce House, which provides housing and compassionate care for those living with HIV/AIDS;
- Chrysalis House, an emergency women’s and children’s shelter in Kanata;
- Habitat for Humanity-NCR, which builds affordable homes for low-income families;
- Harmony House, a second-stage women’s and children’s shelter;
- Harvest House, which assists young men to get sober, stay sober and reintegrate back into society through counselling, education and work/life skills teaching;
- Jericho Road Christian Ministries, which works with those who are in recovery from addiction and/or mental illness;
- Ottawa Rotary Home Foundation, which, among other services, provides overnight respite care services for young adults with physical disabilities or complex medical needs;
- The Shepherds of Good Hope, who provide food, shelter and clothing to the homeless and near-homeless, as well as mental health support and housing assistance.
- Some of the projects that will be funded by Foundation grants include a bathroom renovation at one of Jericho Road’s residential houses; safe storage for equipment used in a cooking skills program at Shepherds of Good Hope; and an after-school reading and homework program at Harmony House for children of women who have left an abusive home.
The Board will be hosting a cheque presentation event for local grant recipients on November 25. Watch Membership News for your invitation to come and help celebrate with the recipients!