14 Dec Winter Home Maintenance Checklist
Winter Home Maintenance Checklist
Tis the season to give, don’t forget your house! Seasonal and annual maintenance can go a long way to ensure there aren’t any surprises in cold winter days as well as help to maintain the value of your home. Furnace servicing and shower grout repairs aren’t as exciting as a new quartz counter or hardwood flooring but they will save money and time in the future. Prepare your home with these tips.
- If you haven’t already, clean, repair eavestroughs and downspouts and shut off exterior faucets and store hoses
- Test outdoor lights
- Ensure smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are working, test and replace batteries as needed. Check expiry dates on fire extinguishers and replace as needed.
- Vacuum radiators, baseboard heaters, grates, fans
- Check your stock of salt and sand for your walkways and driveways
- Make your home more energy efficient, check windows and doors for weatherstripping and caulking, seal furnace ducts. Install a programmable thermostat. Consider having ducts cleaned.
- Check attic and insulation levels
- Clean dryer vents, vacuum ceiling and bathroom fans, baseboard heaters and radiators
- Service gas appliances, furnace, fireplace, etc. Change filter on furnace
- Check humidifier and HRV, that they are working well, clean filters and hoses
- Check hot water tank age and required maintenance from your rental company
- Have chimney and fireplace cleaned and checked